About Me

My photo
winnsboro, Texas, United States

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Self Portraits





This piece was a study in light and shadow after the works of Bill Brandt. Mr Brandt's works were done in black and white but I chose color for the texture of the hair and the yellow sunlight behind coming from the early morning sun through the curtains.












In this piece I wanted to capture the light and


shadows so many times that Imogen Cunningham captured.


Even though it again shows


the drudgery of my every day life I wanted the shadow to show me and not just a picture of me.


The shadow looming over an empty stove top with dinner time upon me is my piece named What do I do for dinner


shows the struggle once more between getting all


of my roles complete.





















The two pieces here are done as a self image of my role as a woman and mother and also student.


Berenice Abbott seems to show her self


in the role of photographer in every self portrait she is in.


It is how she defines herself.


The two pictures I took


are in a boring square format on purpose because the everyday of my self can be boring


and there are so many other things I would


rather be doing.


The two pieces also show my ciaos I live in while I am trying to juggle


the life of a student, worker, and single mother.



















I love the work of Richard Sexton because he has the ability to take something simple and to make it soft and mysterious.




The second piece is about my life between the dark and the light or the alter ego we all seem to struggle with between right/wrong.



The first photo is about me shutting down and closing out the world for a short time.

This picture is named my down time.

In one of Richard Sexton's photo's of a self portrait it's named My inner Edge he shows himself with a viking cap on with his head down. It seems to speak of his push to keep going forward.






















1 comment:

  1. yo mary!! no postings in over a month? what's up with that?!?

    ReplyDelete